Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Lucy's Magic Necklace

My husband makes fun of me for many of my "crunchy mommy" good intentions. Lucy recently started teething and I had heard of "Amber teething necklaces" from a friend. This is not a teething toy, but a natural remedy for teething pain. Here is what this site said about amber necklaces. Andy doesn't get it and jokes about "Lucy's magic necklace"...which BTW he does agree that its pretty darn cute :)

~A natural analgesic, amber will help calm a baby without resorting to over the counter drugs and remedies.
~Amber is a fossilized resin, not a stone. It is therefore warm to the touch, and light to wear.
~Wearing Baltic amber necklaces on the skin can have a soothing and calming effect on teething babies and toddlers.
~When amber is worn on the skin, the skin's warmth releases minuscule amounts of healing oils from the amber which are then absorbed via the skin into the bloodstream.
~Amber's anti-inflammatory and therapeutic properties are also recognized by allopathic medicine. In Austria, Switzerland and Germany, it is common to find amber teething necklaces sold in local pharmacies.

So far I'm not sure if its in my head or what...but it does seem to be helping a bit. The first night she got to wear it she slept nearly all the way til morning. I haven't had to give her any Tylenol for teething fussiness either. I'll give it another week of trial to see for sure.

Whats your experience with Amber teething necklaces??


4 comments:

nicóle said...

I'd never heard of this, sounds cool, and if it helps her w/o having to medicate her all the better.

Shannon said...

I have a friend that swears by hers. I have thought about getting one for Pookie. At the very least they are super cute!

Renee said...

I've been thinking of getting one of these too. Makes sense to me. And my husband teases me & my "hippie" ways too! Silly boys!

Stacey said...

I'm a believer :) I have one myself, so I know it works. When I feel my wisdom teeth moving around, I put the necklace on and it's sooo much better! Bria has the same one as your daughter :)