Sunday, December 7, 2008

Back from New England~Grandma update

It was so nice to see my family this weekend...(my dads side of the family) Grandma got to hold the newest babies on Friday night when we got into town. That night she was re-intubated due to a new heart condition called Atrial Fibrillation her heart beat was above 200 bpm. Since then she has gotten far worse...and it looks like it will not be much longer until she see's the lord. She and my grandfather made the decision together today (although she has a breathing tube she can still communicate with her eyes) that she does not want to be on the respirator anymore. The liver cancer is severe and terminal, there are signs that her kidneys are going as well. Tomorrow they will take her off of the respirator and keep her comfortable with medications.

I decided that I would not go back and see her the second day we were there. I do not wish to have my last memories of her with tubes and wires coming off of her. My last memory of her was beautiful...of her holding Lucy and my new nephew Joey. I will post that picture as soon as I can.

2 comments:

nicóle said...

I'm sorry to hear that she's taken a turn for the worse, I hope her final days on this earth are peaceful. You and your family are in my prayers.

Stacey said...

Oh that's so sad! My Grandma died of liver cancer too, and it was sooooo hard to watch.