Tuesday, September 30, 2008

DIY Signature Bundleboo

So, I have heard of plenty of people on line and in the baby wearing forums requesting tips on how to make a Bundleboo. If you need a DVD and a label...let me know I will gladly send you one LOL:) First things first.

YOU WILL NEED: * 1 sewing machine and serger
* 5 yards of woven 100% cotton fabric (linen or linen type non-stretchy fabric is preferable)
*1 yard of coordinating print fabric for the center panel,
*1 package of cream colored "double fold bias tape" (found at your local fabric store)....or you can make your own bias tape.
*1 spool of cream colored "all purpose" sewing machine thread
* fabric scissors and pinning needles.

STEP 1: cut or tear your 5 yard piece of fabric lengthwise down the middle creating two long narrow pieces of fabric measuring approx 22-24 inches wide and 5 yds long. Then take one of the pieces and fold it lengthwise and cut in half. Now you should have two 2.5 yard x 22inch pieces of fabric left over.
STEP 2: take your 1 yard piece of printed fabric (fold it so that the front and back are "correct side" print out. And surge the short sides of the print to the woven fabric.
STEP 3: cut 4" diameter circles (leg holes) 6" apart and 3.5" from the bottom of the fabric. Then cut a slit from the circle to the bottom of the fabric (this will make applying the bias easier) I have been saving my bundleboo circles for something special.... I don't know what yet. I am thinking funky breast pads or something. What would you use your leg circles for?


STEP 4: Give your sewing machine a good pep talk about how you don't feel like using the seam ripper today... and get ready to sew. (works for me sometimes :)
STEP 5: apply your bias using a straight or zigzag stitch. I used a straight stitch in this picture. Then I go back for a second straight stitch to re-enforce the leg hole.
STEP 6: Now, I didn't get a good picture of this so I will try my best to describe as clearly as possible.

Find out what side is the "inside" of your bundleboo by finding the side with the surging showing. So, connect the bias and the vertical slit so that they line up and run it thru the serger.(this is what it would look like connected)

STEP 7: strengthen ALL of your surged seams by using a straight stitch to tack down the surging lip. (is it called a lip? I dunno it sounds good..lol)
STEP 8: If you have a Bundleboo label ... sew it on where you would like to have it. I usually sew it someplace in the center top of the print fabric panel. If you don't want it to clutter up your gorgeous fabric... you can put it on one of the side panel ends.

FINAL STEP: Surge the entire outer length of your Bundleboo finish the fabric and keep it from fraying. You can round the corners or leave them squared off. Its up to you :)
Cut all of the loose strings and voila you have your own DIY Signature Bundleboo. I am hoping the owner of this Bundleboo might send better action pictures. I couldn't do better this time...my kids were asleep and I didn't have pants on...LOL:)

(These instructions are for personal/individual use only and not for resale...thank you!)

No comments: